I see a lot of publishers on facebook and twitter who have linked their website or blog in their profile info. I used to visit a couple of links to see how their site looks like. Let’s visit this site
Because I’m the guy who craves for best design layouts and great content. But those expectations never come true, because all those blogs
What is SSL and why do you need them?
Technically, SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer, but I know you don’t wanna know its history or whatever shit like that. So without boring you guys further let’s just know the needful.
- SSL is kinda like a layer which adds up extra security to your site and absorbs all the risky conditions all by itself.
- Risky conditions are the unwanted(spam) traffic that is directed to your site.
- You don’t want any spammers to affect your site, that why you use an SSL certificate. See, you are genius. You’ve understood the concept so easily. 😉
What are the benefits of SSL?
- You see a spike in your traffic if you link your site to
SSL,because people feel safe to visit your site more often.
- If your site involves in collecting payments, then adding an SSL encryption safeguards your transactions.
- It secures the webste and the websites are safe to use.
- It loads more quickly than the sites which are not yet using SSL.
How do I add an SSL encryption to my site..?
So how do you add a free SSL to your site..? I mean absolutely free. You dont have to pay a dime to get your SSL rock and rolling.
- Register an account on Cloudflare.
- After verifying all the stuffs like otp verification and many other things(figure yourself), login to your Cloudflare dashboard.
- Click on DNS from the menu.
- Scroll down to Cloudflare nameservers.
- Change the nameservers from your current hosting provider to the all-new Cloudflare’s nameservers.
- After changing all the nameservers to Cloudflare, toggle “Always use HTTPS” from the speed menu on Cloudflare.
- Your SSL would be activated within 24 hours or after a couple of hours. Enjoy!!
How do I know if the site is SSL protected or not..?
You can easily distinguish an SSL and non SSL site by seeing the two signs on a webpage.
- LOCK – If the site is SSL encrypted, then it always displays a lock on the left side of the URL.
- Unlock – Told you that you’re a genius. It just means that it isn’t SSL encrypted, and may contain harmful malware.
Tricks to guess if the site runs a free SSL or paid SSL
We always give our fellow readers some awesome tricks every time we make a post live. But this trick is quite amazing, most of the surfers haven’t have tried it yet. Lets quickly know what the trick is…
The trick is that you can distinguish the sites which are using a paid SSL encryption(provides more security) and free SSL encryption(provides less security). 😉 So lets muster the trick!
- You can tap on the LOCK and see if the certificate is valid or not, If
itsa valid certificate, then it shows in a green colour(if using mobile) or black colour(if using desktop). But it shouldbe locked.
- You can navigate to “Certificates” to check whether the site’s SSL is free or paid.
- After selecting certificates,
you’llbe shown a window where you can see “Issued to”, “Issued by”, and “valid from”.
- Now, check on “issued to”, if the domain names are same to the respected site, then they are using a paid SSL encryption for their site. Like, if the website you want to know is google.com, then check the certificate and see, issued to. If the issue to matches with google.com, then
they’reusing paid SSL(more security).
- If the “issued to”
doesn’tmatches with the same domain name, then they’reusing a free one. For example, check our site. Check it, I’ll wait..! So our site, doesn’tmatch with samedomain name in “issued to” so we use a free SSL through Cloudflare. That’s how you distinguish between the sites.
So, the fun part is that you can also get a brand new free SSL certificate to your site by registering to Cloudflare, and tweak a few settings, and your site runs like crazy.
Your website speed will be more faster than it was before, you can also enable “Rocket Loader” to load the java scripts on your webpage more faster than ever. That’s how you can set your site with a free SSL certificate.
Some of the alternatives to get free SSL certificate
- SSL for free.
This is a trick that our site Tricked Tricks is also using to ensure proper behaviour of our readers. We care for our fellow readers, so we have added an extra layer of security to our website.
You can also add a free SSL certificate to your site by following the steps that are listed above.
People are more intersted to click on your site rather than clicking a site which shows an alert sign. So add an SSL certicate to your site and boost your traffic! Cheers from Tricked Tricks..!